PACE School in West Springfield provides a small, private, coeducational environment for students who have been unable to succeed in a public school setting because of learning, behavioral, and emotional difficulties. Students are given the opportunity to grow intellectually, emotionally, socially, and physically through the various services we offer. Our success is accomplished through:
- A stimulating, safe, and nurturing learning environment.
- Achievable goals for each student who may have encountered failure when attending other schools.
- Adjustment counseling always in the best interest of the student.
- Provision for sound Individual Education Plans that offer strong basic skills enabling students to gain credit toward obtaining their high school diplomas.
- Vocational experience in woodworking, culinary arts, small engine repair, and buildingmaintenance.
Our academic curriculum includes English, Mathematics, Science, History, Reading, Health, Career Awareness, and Physical Education. We provide hands-on opportunities for students to learn critical academic subjects through state-of-the-art classroom technology. Our interdisciplinary projects have proven effective in engaging students resistant to traditional teaching techniques. The PACE School academic curriculum is aligned with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks.
Integrated into the curriculum are a variety of extracurricular activities such as attending live theatre, outdoor field trips, interscholastic basketball, and “incentive” shopping. An individual web-based reading program is also offered in which students are encouraged to advance their reading comprehension skills at their own pace.
Expanded therapeutic services are offered to all students individually by a Master’s level clinician. Additionally, students may participate in group discussions dealing with anger replacement, conflict resolution, substance abuse and domestic violence. Occupational therapy is also available.
Other program highlights include:
- Bilingual staff trained in behavioral management techniques,
- Outreach Transportation Program to increase student attendance,
- Full size gymnasium with weight training equipment,
- Daily breakfast and hot lunch program.
Referrals are required for enrollment at PACE School. We offer a unique service to Western Massachusetts with our alternative educational and vocational services for young people with serious learning and behavioral concerns. We are fully approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
If you know a student who needs an alternative, please contact us: (413) 737-2679.