Every child deserves a strong family. And every family deserves support. This is the philosophy that drives CHD’s Continuum program.
102 Main Street
Greenfield, MA 01301
P: (413) 512-5026
F: (413) 325-8066
179 Northampton Street, Unit G
Easthampton, MA 01027
P: (413) 575-9772
F: (413) 203-5105
CHD’s Continuum program provides community-based wraparound supports services to young persons and families where the child is either at risk for outplacement, or is transitioning back to the family from an out-of-home placement. In these situations, a stable home environment is critically important. Our goal is to strengthen families so that these young persons can remain in their homes—and thrive.
Support is offered though intensive community outreach and 24/7 crisis support. CHD works closely with youth, families and caseworkers to identify and remove obstacles to community based living.
The goal of the Continuum program is to allow at-risk children and youth to return to—and remain in—their homes by supporting families as the primary caretakers.
Services are provided for DMH or DCF youth (ages 6 through 18) who are at risk for out of home placement due to safety concerns and/or significant emotional/behavioral needs. Youth are referred through their DMH or DCF caseworker, based on need level.
Continuum services are provided to families at no cost.
The Core Team
Youth and families in the Continuum program are supported by a Core Team of providers including a master’s level clinician and outreach worker who offer in-home support and intervention to each youth and family for an average of 6 hours per week. A peer mentor may also be assigned, to provide outreach, support and advocacy directly to the youth.
Services are based on the youth and family’s unique needs and allow for creativity and flexibility to meet our goals. The Core Team may be assisted by occupational therapists, psychiatrists or any other service providers that may be needed.
Out of Home Care
In the event a youth is in need of a higher level of care the Continuum can provide access to residential care or intensive foster care. Deciding which setting is best for the young person is a collaborative process and involves the family and youth, along with members of the Core Team. Continuum will continue to provide the entire family with support and outreach across all levels of care, even if the young person is no longer living at home. We work closely with all treatment staff to ensure continuity of care.
Family outreach interventions include comprehensive support services, which may include:
- Accessing needed services and benefits
- Advocating for youth’s educational needs
- Managing youth behavior in the home and community
- Promoting safety in the home
- Strengthening home management skills
- Self care for parents, including in-home respite services
- Supervision of youth’s daily living, recreation and physical activity
- Youth outreach interventions including support around:
- Behavioral and feelings management
- Learning/Restoring independent living skills
- Building social skills and engagement in recreational and community activities
- Developing healthy coping strategies
- Nurturing creative interests and hobbies
- Symptom management
- Educational and pre-vocational skill building